158A was built in 1866 to a design by Matthew Kirtley for express passenger workings to Kings Cross, then the London Terminus of the Midland Railway. 158A has been rebuilt at various dates and finally ended her days at Nottingham in 1947 as station pilot after 81 years service.
She appeared at the Stephenson Centenary Celebrations, Chesterfield in 1948 and was preserved at Derby Locomotive Works until moving to the Midland Railway – Butterley in 1975.
158A is part of the National Collection owned by The National Railway Museum. Now takes pride of place in the Matthew Kirtley Exhibition Hall at Swanwick Junction.