LMS 8P 6233 4-6-2 ‘Duchess of Sutherland’
Designed by Sir William Stanier and built at Crewe Works in July/August 1938, she was first allocated to Camden shed (1B) for working on the West Coast Main Line between London and Glasgow. In 1958 she was transferred to Carlisle Upperby (12B) and then to Crewe North (5A) and finally to Liverpool Edge Hill (8A) in September 1960. During her 26 year working life she managed to clock up over 1.6 million miles. 6233 was withdrawn on the 8th Feb 1964 .
The Duchess of Sutherland was bought by the late Sir Billy Butlin as static display at his Ayr Holiday Camp. Following a change of policy by the Butlin Group, she was moved to Bressingham Steam Museum, where she remained on static display until 1996. Bought by the Princess Royal Locomotive Trust 6233 has been restored and proudly hauled the Royal Train as part of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations. ‘Duchess of Sutherland’ has regularly been seen heading mainline rail tours throughout the country, until December 2010, when she was taken out service for a major boiler inspection and service.
Operational (May be based away during summer mainline running season)
- Tractive effort: 40,000lbs
- Cylinders: 4 (inside – 16.5” x 28”stroke)
- Driving wheels: 6ft 9ins.
- Boiler pressure: 250 psi
- Total weight: Loco 105 tons 5cwt (non-streamlined), Tender 56 tons 7 cwt
- Number Built: 38
LMS 8P 6203 4-6-2 ‘Princess Margaret’
6203/46203 Princess Margaret Rose was designed by Sir William Stanier, built at Crewe (at a cost of £9,692) and entered service in July 1935 to work on the West Coast Main Line. During her 27 years of service she was allocated to eight different Motive Power Depots:
Camden (1B) 4 years 1month
Polmadie (27A & 66A) 2 years 2 months
Edge Hill (8A) 12 years 6 months
Holyhead (14A) 6 months
Crewe North (5A) 6 years 5 months
Carnforth (24L) 9 months (Stored)
Carlisle Upperby (12B) 3 months
Carlisle Kingmoor (12A) 6 months
Princess Margaret Rose attained the class speed record of 102.5 mph between Tring and Cheddington during a vacuum brake test run between Euston and Crewe on 3rd. May 1936. She was withdrawn from service in October 1962 with over 1.5 million recorded miles to her credit, and bought by the late Sir Billy Butlin for a static display at his Pwllheli holiday camp, where she stayed until October 1974. 6203 was loaned to the Midland Railway Trust in 1974 arriving at Butterley in 1975. In 1988 she was bought by the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust and restored to mainline working.
Non-Operational (On static display in West Shed, Swanwick Junction)